Sunday, February 21, 2016

The day my dad met Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru

The day my father met Nehru…………!

It was 1955 and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was on an official visit to the Christian Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) to inaugurate a medical ward dedicated to Kamala Nehru in the hospital campus. My father was the Executive Office (EO) of a village panchayat Dharapadvedu which is located just after the Katpadi Railway Junction and exactly on the only road that took anyone to Vellore. The erstwhile first Prime Minister of independent India was to pass by that route as he travelled by train from  Madras.
As the administrative head of the region, my father had all responsibilities to take care of the safety and security of the Prime Minister as he would travel in an open car greeting the crowd of people who had assembled there to get a glimpse of this greatest son of Indian soil.
The Cavalcade was on its way and my father, a freedom fighter himself decided to to hold the party for few minutes honour the Prime Minister on his way by garlanding him and offer him a specially made orange juice. He did stop the cavalcade and honoured Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, one of the  founding fathers of our nation,  with a garland and a glass of juice. Panditji, without any hesitation took this in public and shook hands with my dad. I wasn’t even born then.
Nearly thirty years later, in the year 1984 his son, myself was  to get the most coveted Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Award for academic excellence by the Government of India. It is now 60 years since this nostalgic incident happened but it is so fresh in the memories of my family  through the diaries of my great  father.

Well done dad………….I hope you will be happy wherever you are and proud of me on this national award as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment